A quaint residential community with roots dating back to Revolutionary times, South Orange is filled with beautiful historic and period homes. Residents enjoy a thriving art scene, diverse community, year-round access to outdoor activities, and a 30-minute commute to NYC via the Midtown Direct train. It’s no wonder so many of my clients choose South Orange when it’s time to pick a town.
With a short commute by train, bus, or car into Manhattan, it’s clear why South Orange is a commuter’s dream.
- South Orange is home to two New Jersey Transit stations on the Morristown line.
- The train ride to NYC is between 30 and 40 minutes.
- The town offers a jitney service to the train stations from outlying areas.
- NJ Transit bus line 107 provides direct commuter bus service to NYC in less than 50 minutes.
- South Orange is within 10 minutes of Routes 24, 280, I-78 and the Garden State Parkway.
- Less than a 25-minute drive into Manhattan.
- Newark Liberty Airport is 20 minutes away!
- The Columbia School District serves both South Orange and neighboring Maplewood.
- The Columbia School District is composed of six elementary schools (two for South Orange residents), two middle schools (one for South Orange), and one high school.
- Columbia High School is one of the most academically progressive high schools in the state of New Jersey, with an extensive amount of AP classes and extracurricular activities.
- Columbia High School is a Blue Ribbon School (a US Department of Education Award reserved for the best schools in the nation).
- South Orange Performing Arts Center offers exceptional live performances in its 400+ seat auditorium.
- South Mountain Reservation, a 2000-acre nature preserve, is the perfect destination for hiking, runs, and biking, complete with a dog run and vistas of NYC.
- A community pool, playgrounds, and recreational facilities and fields keep outdoor activities fun.
- South Orange’s vibrant downtown area includes incredible restaurants and shops, such as Eden Gourmet, an upscale gourmet grocery store that attracts people from neighboring towns.